A just-released list of the Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2012 by the U.S. Chamber Institute for Legal Reform (ILR) is as good a place as any to start the New Year.
Heading the list? An intoxicated Florida driver who pleaded guilty to manslaughter and then sued the victim he killed.
In aÃ‚ blog post, ILR President Lisa A. Rickard notes:
The ILR puts together the top ten ridiculous list from votes cast throughout the year by visitors to FacesOfLawsuitAbuse.org. The lawsuits were selected from those featured in the websiteÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s monthly polls for 2012.
HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s theÃ‚ completeÃ‚ list of the Top Ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2012:
1. Intoxicated Florida driver pleads guilty to manslaughter, then sues victim he killed
2. Michigan woman files $5 million suit for the leftover gas still in her repossessed car
3. 13-year-old Little Leaguer sued by spectator who got hit with baseball
4. Maximum security inmate who went to jail with five teeth sues prison for dental problems
5. Anheuser Busch sued when longneck bottle used as weapon in bar fight
6. National Football League fan sues Dallas Cowboys over hot bench
7. California restaurateur sued for disabilities act violations in parking lot he doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t own
8. Colorado man wins $7 million blaming illness on inhaling microwave popcorn fumes
9. $1.7 billion suit claims City of Santa Monica wireless parking meters causing health problems
10. Bay Area parents sue school after their son was kicked out of honors class for cheating
Check out additionalÃ‚ facts and statisticsÃ‚ from the I.I.I. on litigiousness.