The I.I.I.’s California representative, Janet Ruiz briefed our membership this week on key insurance related stories. Here are some highlights.
- The I.I.I.’s Steven Weisbart was quoted in a Washington Post story on the insurance industry’s financial strength in the wake of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
- A FEMA/State Disaster Recovery Center opened today (September 20) at the Carolyn Sims Center in Boynton Beach (Palm Beach County) for Floridians impacted by Hurricane Irma.
- Florida’s Department of Financial Services opened Irma-related Insurance Village locales this week in St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Fort Myers, and Naples.
- The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) released details on Hurricane Harvey’s Disaster Assistance Mobile Unit Locations.
- Maria made landfall as a Category 4 storm in southeast Puerto Rico Wednesday. The governor’s spokesperson said ‘this is a total disaster.’ The same evacuation centers used for Irma are filled with thousands of people according to CNN.
- The LA Times offered these earthquake preparedness tips in the wake of the deadly 7.1 quake that struck Mexico City on Tuesday.
- Politico posted last week an in-depth story on how Oklahoma’s earthquakes could adversely impact the U.S.’s energy supplies. It was written by the author of Quakeland: On the Road to America’s Next Devastating Earthquake (Dutton 2017).
- Dr. David Harkey will succeed Dr. Adrian Lund in January 2018 as president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI).