Capital Weather Gang cites a weather.com report that not a single tornado has been reported to the National Weather Service in March, typically the first month of severe weather season in the Plains and Southeast.
The only other year since 1950 that there have been zero tornado reports in the first half of March was 1969, according to the Weather Channel’s severe weather expert Dr. Greg Forbes.
Per Dr. Forbes’ report from January 1 to March 12, only 27 tornadoes had been documented across the nation — the slowest start to the year since the 21 tornadoes recorded through March 12, 2003.
Sure enough a glance at the latest U.S. tornado statistics recorded by NOAA’s Storm Prediction Center shows 28 preliminary tornado reports so far in 2015 — 26 in January and 2 in February and 0 in March (to March 13).
Here they are:
As insurers know, a slow start to any catastrophe season is not something to hang your hat on.
In an average year, about 1,000 tornadoes are reported nationwide and tornadoes are among the largest causes of insured losses in any given year, accounting for 37.2 percent of insured catastrophe losses from 1994 to 2013, according to I.I.I. facts and statistics on tornadoes and thunderstorms.
Meanwhile, Climate Central reports that an experimental forecast team has put together the first seasonal outlook for tornadoes in the U.S. That forecast suggests the highest chances are for an average tornado season.
The researchers from Columbia University looked into how cyclical climate patterns known as El NiÃ±o and La NiÃ±a influence the larger atmospheric environment that sets the stage for tornado activity.
In a new study published in the journal Nature Geoscience they show that while El NiÃ±o tends to dampen tornado activity, La NiÃ±a can give it a boost.
Because the El NiÃ±o declared by forecasters earlier this month is a very weak one, the Columbia team is limited in what they can say about this year’s season, Climate Central says.
But based on their findings, the team gives a 60 percent chance that the 2015 tornado season will see normal levels of activity, a 30 percent chance that it will be below normal and a 10 percent chance it will be above normal.