- – Dog bites caused more than 33 percent of all homeowners insurance liability claims in 2014, costing in excess of $530 million
- – The average cost per claim has increased more than 67 percent from 2003 to 2014
- – The number of dog-bite claims actually decreased by 4.7 percent but the average cost per claim increased 15 percent from $27,862 in 2013 to $32,072 in 2014
- – California (1,867), Ohio (1,009) and New York (965) had the highest number of claims in 2014
- – New York had the highest average cost per claim in the country: a whopping $56,628
Costs per claims have risen due to a variety of factors including increased medical costs and jury awards. In addition to dog bites, some claims are due to dogs knocking down children, cyclists, the elderly, which can result in fractures and other injuries. All these factors impact the potential severity of losses.
Contact @LWorters for more information.