The following are state resources specifically to aid California residents in the recovery process a wildfire disaster.
- California Department of Insurance; In an effort to assist victims of these devastating fires, DOI works closely with other federal, state and local agencies to assist in recovery issues related to insurance. Californians should work with their agent, insurer claims adjuster, and insurer with a goal of achieving a settlement that they believe is fair and consistent with their coverage. For questions about insurance or a dispute with an insurer, please contact DOI at 1-800-927-4357.
- Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) Cal OES is responsible for overseeing and coordinating emergency preparedness, response, recovery, and homeland security activities within the state of California. Cal OES regularly dispatches team members to join first responders, emergency leaders, and those affected by disasters that threaten public safety, to tell their stories and provide information essential to the public.
- The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) –As a consumer protection agency, and in its role regulating California’s construction industry, CSLB is responsible for protecting those whose homes and property are directly affected by wildfires, as well as other catastrophic events like floods, mudflows, earthquakes, and pipeline explosions. Check a license or File a complaint.
- The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) is dedicated to the fire protection and stewardship of over 31 million acres of California’s privately-owned wildlands. In addition, the CAL FIRE provides varied emergency services in 36 of the State’s 58 counties via contracts with local governments. CAL FIRE provides regular updates about fire incidents and detailed maps of fire areas.
- Consumer Protection
- California Department of Transportation
- California Highway Patrol
Public Safety Power ShutOff
Wildland Fire Safety for Livestock and Pets
- Protect Your Family From Wildfire Smoke (California Area IHS) (PDF) This California Area IHS factsheet lists what you can do now to prepare for wildfire season and protect your family's health.
- Wildfire Is Coming (CalFire) (PDF) This CalFire guide explains how to create a defensible space around your property.
- How to Prepare for Wildfire (FEMA) (PDF) A ready.gov booklet which explains how to protect yourself and your property from wildfire.
- Before, During and After a Wildfire (CalFire, 2018) (PDF) A CalFire Wildfire Actions Guide for what to do before, during and after a wildfire.
- How to Prepare for a Wildfire (FEMA, 2015) (PDF) This ready.gov booklet describes how to prepare for a wildfire.
- Prepare for Fire Season (USEPA, 2018) (PDF) USEPA fact sheet that provides steps you can take to protect you and your family during this year's wildfire season.
- Preparing for Public Safety Power Shutdown (2019, Sempra Energy, Edison Electric, PG&E) A website dedicated to providing guidance to California residents on how to prepare for public safety power shutdowns in their area.
- Backup Generator Factsheet (2019, Sempra Energy, Edison Electric, PG&E). Guidance on the selection and safe usage of backup emergency generator.