In order to obtain a price for an auto policy you'll need to provide your insurance professional with the following information.
About the car
For each car you want to insure, know:
- Make, model and year
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Safety features, such as passive restraint systems or anti-lock brakes
- Anti-theft devices, such as GPS trackers
- Roughly how many miles it will be driven annually
About your household
Let your insurance professional know if you already have a homeowners or other policy with the company. He or she will also want to know:
- Where you live
- Your car parking accommodations
- How much liability coverage you want. Consider the total value of your assets — the liability coverage will protect them, so choose accordingly.
- How much of a deductible you want on your policy. To help determine this number, think about what you can comfortably afford to pay out of pocket in the event of a loss.
- How many drivers are in your household
About the drivers
The people behind the wheels you're insuring impact the auto premium price. For each driver, know:
- Driving record
- Safe driving courses completed
- If student driver, grades (good grades might qualify for a discount).
Next steps: If you're shopping for car insurance, use these tips to save money.