Triple-I: Hurricane-Force Winds Cause Extensive Damage in Midwest


For immediate release
Midwest Press Office: Scott Holeman, 785-760-3777,



KANSAS CITY, Mo., July 17, 2023—Homeowners, renters, businesses, and vehicle owners who incurred property damage last weekend in Kansas and Missouri need to know how the insurance claim filing process works, according to the Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I). 


A line of convective storms swept through those two states starting on Friday, July 14 and continued into the weekend, knocking down trees and leaving tens of thousands without power.


Convective storms are the result of warm, moist air rising from the earth. The storms materialize in various ways, depending on atmospheric conditions – from drenching thunderstorms with lightning, to tornadoes, hail, or straight-line winds.


Residents and businesses with property damage from these storms should take the following steps, Triple-I says:


  • Contact your insurer as soon as possible and start the claims filing process.
  • Take photos of any damage. A photographic record is useful when making insurance claims.
  • Make temporary repairs to prevent further loss from either rain or wind; these costs are reimbursable under most policies, so save the receipts.
  • Make a detailed list of all damaged or destroyed personal property. If you have a home inventory, it will be extremely useful here. Don’t throw out damaged property until you have met with an insurance adjuster.
  • Don’t rush to sign repair contracts. Do your homework, deal with reputable contractors, and get references. Be sure of payment terms and consult your insurance adjuster before you sign any contracts.
  • If your home is uninhabitable because of wind-caused damage, your homeowners or renters insurance provides coverage for additional living expenses (ALE) such as hotel bills or meals out. Save all related receipts and, if you have vacated your home premises, make sure your insurance representative knows where and how to contact you.  
  • Talk to your insurance professional if you have any questions about any part of your insurance coverage.


Property damage caused by windstorms, hail, and lightning is covered under standard homeowners, renters, and business insurance policies.  Vehicles damaged by debris, such as falling trees, are covered under the optional comprehensive portion of an auto insurance policy. Nearly 80 percent of U.S. drivers have purchased comprehensive coverage.  


Property damage to businesses caused by windstorms, hail, and lightning is typically covered under either a Business Owners Policy (BOP) or a Commercial Multiple Peril (CMP) policy.




Issues Brief:                Convective Storms: State of the Risk (2022)

White Paper:                Severe Convective Storms: Evolving Risks Call for Innovation to Reduce Costs,

Drive Resilience (2020)

Back to top