Triple-I: Insurance Protects Against Severe Weather’s Impacts


For immediate release
New York Press Office: Michael Barry, 917-923-8245, 



NEW YORK, March 17, 2021—Severe storms are expected today and tomorrow in states stretching from the middle of the U.S. to its East Coast, highlighting the importance of having insurance, according to the Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I).

“Property damage caused by tornadoes, hail, and strong winds are covered under standard homeownersrenters, and business insurance policies, and under the optional comprehensive portion of an auto insurance policy,” said Sean Kevelighan, CEO, Triple-I. ‘Insurance is the key to economic recovery for households and businesses impacted by severe weather.”

The severe storm warning for multiple U.S. states was issued this week by the National Weather Service’s Storm Prediction Center.

Should households or businesses incur property damage, policyholders should contact their insurer to access safely the assistance they need. Many insurer services are available via mobile app and online.

The Triple-I has these recommendations when property damage occurs: 

Checklist for Renters, Home and Auto Owners

  • Contact your insurance professional and start the claims filing process
  • Take photos of any damage. A photographic record is useful when making an insurance claim.
  • Make temporary repairs to prevent further loss from rain, wind, or looting; these costs are reimbursable under most policies, so save the receipts
  • Compile a detailed list of all damaged or destroyed personal property.  Do not throw out damaged property until you meet with an insurance adjuster. If you have a home inventory, it will make either the renters or homeowner’s claims-filing process easier
  • Hold off on signing repair contracts. Do your due diligence, deal with reputable contractors, and get references. Consult your insurance adjuster before signing any contracts
  • Check to see if you’re eligible for additional living expenses (ALE). Standard homeowners and renters insurance policies pay for the extra charges (e.g., temporary housing, restaurant meals) you incur over and above your customary living expenses if your home is uninhabitable because of an insured loss 

Checklist for Small Business Owners

  • Contact your insurance professional and start the claims filing process
  • If your business is forced to close temporarily or relocate because of direct physical damage to its premises, file either a business income (interruption) or extra expense claim, if you carry these coverages
  • To receive a business income settlement, document your net income and operating expenses, including payroll, both before and after the business was disrupted
  • Keep detailed records of all business expenses and transactions as your business recovers 


Triple-I Videos

The Triple-I has a full library of educational videos on its YouTube Channel. Information about Triple-I mobile apps can be found here.

Back to top