Triple-I Offers Claims-Filing Tips to Those Impacted by Idalia


For immediate release
New York Press Office: Michael Barry, 917-923-8245,


NEW YORK, Sept. 1, 2023 —Homeowners, renters, businesses, and vehicle owners impacted by Hurricane Idalia need to know how the insurance claim filing process works and what’s covered under standard insurance policies, according to the Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I). 
“Insurers are the nation’s financial first responders who will be there to help their policyholders recover,” said Sean Kevelighan, CEO, Triple-I.  “The widespread damage Floridians experienced last year after Hurricane Ian highlighted the importance of being financially protected from catastrophic losses and that included having the right types, and amounts, of property insurance and flood coverage.”


There are four keys to economic recovery in the aftermath of Hurricane Idalia, which made landfall as a Category 3 storm on Florida’s Gulf Coast on Wednesday, Aug. 30, the Triple-I says. 


1. Start the claims process as soon as possible 
Be prepared to give your insurance professional—either an agent or an insurance company representative—a description of the damage to your property and a copy of your home inventory if you have one. Your insurance professional will report the loss immediately to your insurer or to a qualified adjuster. They also will want your cellphone number to update you on the claim’s status.


2. Understand what’s covered 
Damage caused by windstorms is covered under standard homeowners, renters and business insurance policies. A hurricane deductible, which typically runs from two percent to five percent of the insured value of your property, will be applied to property loss claims resulting from hurricane-caused damage.


Property damage to a home, a renter’s possessions, or a business – resulting from either a flood or storm surge – is covered under a flood insurance policy, which is typically separate from a property insurance policy for a home, rental unit, or a business. Flood policies are underwritten through FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and private insurers.


Property damage to businesses caused by hurricanes is typically covered under a Business Owners Policy (BOP) or through a Commercial Multiple Peril (CMP) policy. Business income (interruption) insurance is an optional coverage that can be included in either a BOP or CMP. It provides coverage if the business’ structure was directly damaged by the hurricane for:


  • Revenue lost due to the closure of the business
  • Fixed expenses, such as rent and utility costs
  • Expenses of operating the business from a temporary location


3. Review Your Additional Living Expenses (ALE) coverage 
ALE, also known as Loss of Use, pays the additional costs of living away from home if you cannot live there either due to a mandatory evacuation or because of damage to your home from an insured catastrophe. It is a standard coverage in homeowners and renters insurance policies but ALE is not incorporated into FEMA NFIP policies.


4. Make Sure You Have Comprehensive Coverage for Your Vehicle 
Vehicles damaged by either flood or debris, such as falling trees, during hurricanes are covered under the optional comprehensive portion of an auto insurance policy. Nearly 80 percent of U.S. drivers have purchased comprehensive coverage.  




Home Inventory 


Facts & Statistics: 
Homeowners and Renters Insurance 


Understanding the Claims Payment Process 


Hurricane Deductibles


Triple-I’s Resilience Accelerator

Back to top