For immediate release
New York Press Office: (212) 346-5500; email@example.com
New Orleans, La., April 18, 2019—The Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) is playing a prominent role at 2019’s National Hurricane Conference, which starts on Monday, April 22, at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside.
The annual conference serves as a national forum to enhance emergency management policies and improve hurricane preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation. It concludes this year on Thursday, April 25. The I.I.I. can be found at the following sessions, all of which are open to the press.
Monday, April 22
- 8:30-10 a.m.—Scott Holeman, I.I.I.’s Director, Media Relations, is a featured speaker at Property Insurance for Smarties: How It Works and Ways to Save Money, Canal, 3rd Floor
- 3:30-5 p.m.—Dr. Phil Klotzbach, an I.I.I. Non-Resident Scholar and a Research Scientist in the Department of Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University (CSU), is presenting CSU’s 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook, St. James Ballroom, 3rd Floor. CSU’s initial forecast envisions a slightly below-average level of activity for the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season, with 13 named storms, five hurricanes and two major hurricanes. The hurricane season lasts from June 1 to Nov. 30.
Tuesday, April 23
- 3:30-5 p.m.—Dr. Klotzbach is offering an encore briefing on CSU’s 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook, St. James Ballroom, 3rd Floor.
Wednesday, April 24
- 8:30-10 a.m.—Lynne McChristian, an I.I.I. Non-Resident Scholar and the Director, Office of Risk Management & Research at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Holeman are co-moderators of a program on The Insurance Claims Process: Scenario Planning, Canal, 3rd Floor.
- 1:40 p.m.—The I.I.I.’s McChristian will discuss the importance of having flood insurance during a General Session panel on Lessening the Human and Financial Costs of Water in Hurricanes. Moderated by Dr. Rick Knabb of The Weather Channel, it will be held in the Grand Salon, A-C.
- 4:15 p.m.—Dr. Klotzbach will talk about the seasonal forecasting challenges associated with the 2018 Atlantic hurricane season as part of a General Session panel on Hurricane Seasonal Forecasting and Climate Issues. Moderated by Dennis Feltgen of the National Hurricane Center, it also is in the Grand Salon, A-C.
Thursday, April 25
- 10:30 a.m.-Noon—The I.I.I.’s McChristian is a featured speaker at Last House Standing: Building Resilience on Purpose, Marlborough B, 2nd Floor.
- 3:30-5 p.m.—The I.I.I.’s McChristian is moderating a session on Fixing Floods: Private vs. Public Flood Insurance Options, Marlborough B, 2nd Floor.
Reporters wishing to arrange an interview about the I.I.I.’s participation at 2019’s National Hurricane Conference can contact Holeman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-346-5566. McChristian is reachable at email@example.com or 813-480-6446.
The I.I.I. has a full library of educational videos on its YouTube Channel. Information about I.I.I. mobile apps can be found here.
THE I.I.I. IS A NONPROFIT, COMMUNICATIONS ORGANIZATION SUPPORTED BY THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.
Insurance Information Institute, 110 William Street, New York, NY 10038; (212) 346-5500; www.iii.org